A peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his conduct. Whatever his acts, they are dictated by his own conscience, rather than that of onlookers. It is difficult to exaggerate the importance of this fact. - Aldo Leopold

Monday, December 27, 2010

A Very Cold Morning

I went deer hunting again this morning. At 5:45 am, the temperature was 25 degrees and it was still dark although I could see fairly well because of the full moon. There was a light frost covering everything. At least the wind wasn't blowing to make it seem even colder.

I drove out to the blind, but parked some distance from it. I didn't want the truck to scare the deer away. I gathered up my rifle, backpack, and flashlight and walked to the blind. Even with a full moon, a flashlight, and a dirt road to follow, I went a little off course and had to walk through tall grass to find the fence and the blind. It's amazingly easy to get lost. I hadn't put my gloves on and my left hand fingers were aching from holding the cold rifle.

I settled into the blind, got my binoculars out, loaded the rifle, put on my gloves, and waited. It was 6 and it wouldn't get light until 7. I could see the black sky and bright stars because it wasn't cloudy. Sitting in the blind is a great exercise in patience and tranquility. It doesn't come easy to me.

I heard the feeder go off at 6:30. As it gets light, I'll start to see the deer moving around. It might still be too dark to get a good shot, but I can see their dim outlines through the binoculars or rifle's scope. This morning there was nothing.

The only activity I saw were birds starting their day and a squirrel eating the deer corn. Most of the birds I saw were cardinals. They seem to play a game where one will fly to another tree or bush, and then another will follow it. They'll both sit there for a little bit and then one will fly to the next perch, only to be followed again. I saw them doing this several times. I don't know much about cardinals, but I think it's the males that are a bright red. These were males playing the game. I saw four cardinals at one time, but I don't know if I kept seeing the same ones or different ones as they moved around. They fly very near to the ground and make a choppy, buzzing sound with their wings. I'd never noticed that before.

I sat in the blind until about 8. I kept hoping that if I waited a little longer, I'd see some deer, but they never came. If it was a bit warmer, I might have stayed longer, but I could feel the cold seeping into me. I had remembered to put on my long underwear, so my legs, arms, and body were fine, but my fingers were aching, even though I was wearing gloves. My toes were aching too, and I only had normal athletic socks on, not winter ones.

Sitting in the blind just makes the cold worse. Although it keeps most of the wind off, this morning was calm so that wasn't required. You have to be still and quiet or you'll spook the deer. That's what leads to the cold getting to you, especially in your extremities. I don't think I was in danger of frostbite, but it was definitely uncomfortable.

I wonder if the cold is what kept the deer away. I don't know enough about their behavior to be sure, but maybe they wait until the day warms up before they move around. I'll have to read up on them or ask Paul.

I finally decided to go home. I gathered up my equipment and walked stiffly back to the truck. It's a very short drive, so the truck didn't warm up before I got home. Mary made me a cup of coffee and I spent the next 1/2 hour getting the feeling back in my fingers and toes.

Would I do it again? Absolutely!

No comments:

Post a Comment