A peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his conduct. Whatever his acts, they are dictated by his own conscience, rather than that of onlookers. It is difficult to exaggerate the importance of this fact. - Aldo Leopold

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Rain, I Don't Mind

We went to the Rainwater Revival in Dripping Springs yesterday. Appropriately, it rained.

The event is billed as a "A celebration of  collection, conservation and common sense!" In it's second year, the event promotes awareness of rainwater harvesting. There was a good crowd and even though the skies were threatening, everyone was enjoying the day.

Our house saw 0.4 inches of rain on Saturday and then 2.0 inches on Sunday. This makes October the 3rd wettest month this year and is much appreciated. Our rainwater collection tanks are now a little over half-full.

Even with the little rain we had in September, I've started to see signs of the plants taking advantage of it. Some of the oaks have put out acorns, and some of the native grasses are turning green. I'm expecting the 2.4 inches from this weekend will really have a noticeable effect.


On the drive home, I noticed a burst of color along the road. I doubled-back and even though it was starting to rain, I photographed this small plant with bright pink/purple blooms with my phone's camera. There were many of them along a 20 foot stretch of roadside. I don't know what the plant is, but it's definitely taking advantage of the recent rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment