A peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his conduct. Whatever his acts, they are dictated by his own conscience, rather than that of onlookers. It is difficult to exaggerate the importance of this fact. - Aldo Leopold

Sunday, March 25, 2012

Spring Has Sprung!

It was foggy yesterday morning, so I grabbed my camera on my way to breakfast. I had been watching the bluebonnets all week and was hoping to get some good shots. I was not disappointed.

The fog, along with the hour, created a soft, diffuse light. This means no harsh shadows and nice even tones in the scenes.

This first photo is along the roadside with a nice fence line disappearing into the distance and fog. I don't know what the small yellow flowers are, but of course the scene is dominated by bluebonnets (Lupinus texensis). Bluebonnets are the Texas State Flower. It's also known as Texas lupine, Buffalo clover, and  Wolf-flower. I've only ever heard them called bluebonnets and the name fits because the petals resemble sun bonnets.

The second photo was taken about an hour later the same morning and the fog is starting to burn off. My eye was drawn to the stair step appearance of the hillside road-cut and the reminder that bluebonnets grow in the rockiest soil imaginable.

Finally, while I was tramping along the road side and fence lines, I spotted this spider web, outlined and accentuated by the dew. I didn't see the spider, but the web was about six inches in diameter and hung between two barbed-wire strands.


1 comment: