A peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his conduct. Whatever his acts, they are dictated by his own conscience, rather than that of onlookers. It is difficult to exaggerate the importance of this fact. - Aldo Leopold

Sunday, June 10, 2012

Odds & Ends

I went for a  hike today and even though it's not officially summer yet, it was HOT! I declare summer here, not matter what the calendar says.

The black-eyed susans are still out in force and the Texas thistles are past their peak, which is a good thing. They are nasty.

A few weeks ago, while checking our nest boxes, I spotted this prickly pear heart. More appropriate for Valentine's Day, but it's a reminder that all you need is love.

Our game camera caught a doe and her fawn walking by.

We keep our glass and cans for recycling in plastic tubs behind our garage. A few weeks ago I took the recycling to the local place in San Marcos. I tossed the containers in the pickup bed and drove into town. I emptied the tubs and threw them back in the truck. When I got home and was putting them away behind the garage, I noticed something hanging from one of them. It was a monarch chrysalis!

The butterfly was almost ready to emerge. The chrysalis was turning transparent and you could see the butterfly inside. I checked it the next day and the chrysalis was cracked open and no sign of the butterfly.

I learned several things. First, the chrysalis is attached with something approaching "crazy glue" in strength. I remained attached and survived a round trip to San Marcos and fairly rough handling, since I didn't see it until after my return. Second, the monarch caterpillar is not picky about where it decides to metamorphose. The female butterfly is particular and lays her eggs on plants that will be a food source to her caterpillars. Where the transformation into butterfly takes place is apparently not critical.

No comments:

Post a Comment