A peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his conduct. Whatever his acts, they are dictated by his own conscience, rather than that of onlookers. It is difficult to exaggerate the importance of this fact. - Aldo Leopold

Sunday, September 2, 2012

Wildflowers Revisted

I found this wildflower photo in my archives. It was taken in May of 2009 and the wildflower were in full celebration of the spring rains.

The location is an empty field along Kohler's Crossing Road between Buda and Kyle. The entire area long IH-35 is being rapidly converted into homes and shopping malls, so it was a great pleasure for me to see this field as I drove by a couple of years ago. I got a couple of funny looks as I parked the car on the shoulder and tromped around the field looking for the best shot.

The red/yellow flowers in the foreground are Indian Blanket (Gaillardia pulchella). The blue ones are Mealy Blue Sage (Salvia farinacea).

I like the way the flowers are segregated into the two regions. With a bit of maneuvering and squatting, I was able to isolate them into the two bands. The photo reminds me of an impressionist landscape and I like the impression you get that the flowers just go on forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment