A peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his conduct. Whatever his acts, they are dictated by his own conscience, rather than that of onlookers. It is difficult to exaggerate the importance of this fact. - Aldo Leopold

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Cusp Blazing Star

I took this photo of a Cusp Blazing Star (Liatris mucronata) four years ago, when it was much wetter.
The plant is also known as a Texas Gayfeather. I looked it up at the Wildflower Center and there are many different kinds. From the appearance, I pinned it down to a Cusp Blazing Star, but I could be wrong. It's a member of the Aster family and is a perennial.

The plants were near the house, inside the fence. I've never seen them anywhere else on our property, or anywhere else, for that matter. The Wildflower Center doesn't mention that they're particularly rare, though.

They don't need much water, so hopefully they survived this terrible drought. I know roughly where they were and every time I walk by, I look for them.

These specimens were about 2 feet tall and I don't know if they're a single or multiple plants. They attract butterflies and are certainly very pretty. They would make a great addition to any garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment