A peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his conduct. Whatever his acts, they are dictated by his own conscience, rather than that of onlookers. It is difficult to exaggerate the importance of this fact. - Aldo Leopold

Sunday, September 18, 2011

My Naturescapes 2011 Photographs

The Naturescapes Exhibition opened at the San Marcos Activity Center last weekend. It runs through November 4th, so please be sure to go by and enjoy the beautiful photographs.

Two of my images were selected by the contest Juror, Amanda Smith, for the exhibition and she picked one of them for an Award of Merit.

Here's the first one, "Mexican Plum Cluster".

Mexican Plum Cluster
It was taken last spring, on the north end of our property, along an old rock wall. The small Mexican Plum (Prunus mexicana) tree was covered in white flowers. I meant to make it back later in the spring to see if any plums had developed, but I never did.

I took many shots, but this is the one I thought was best. I like the triangular arrangement of the white blossoms, the simple, bright colors, and the limited depth-of-field makes them fade nicely into the background.
The drought this year meant no flowers and definitely no plums. I'll check it again next spring. I think there are still many good photos left here.

The second one, "Black-eyed Susans", won an Award of Merit.

Black-eyed Susans
This too was taken last spring, when we were still getting signficant amounts of rain. The Black-eyed Susans (Rudbeckia hirta) were all over our property, it seemed. This little meadow was also on the north end of our property, along the rock wall.

I got down on my stomach to get a better vantage. I wanted it to look like the flowers went on forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment